24 July 2006

A very sick Mac - Random Shutdowns

If you are not a computer techie then you better stop reading this now or you will wonder "what on earth is he on about?" :)
I was very happy with my new MacBook until last Wednesday when it suddenly shut down without warning. Since then I have had numerous random shutdowns. I looked the issue up on the mac users discussion board to discover (to my horror) that there appears to be a major hardware problem with the new MacBooks (the topic currently has 18,200 views and 541 posts). Apple havent yet admited that there is a problem but there clearly is and it seems that Apple are still not sure how to fix it.
I rang Apple Support on Friday and they told me to bring it to the Apple Shop in Basel for a repair, but I am reluctant to do that because they appear to be replacing the faulty part (i.e. the logic board) with an identical part. Surely if you do that, then I am going to encounter the same problem again in the coming months?

If you are interested in following the discussion thread then here is the link
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=544012&tstart=0
and if any of you bloggers out there have any advice, please let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I know I am impatient but some of the guys responded quickly to my post on the mac forum and advised me to bring it in for a service asap. So I went today to the Apple Shop in Basel, Switzerland and left it in for a repair. The guy said that he was aware of the problem but that this was the first case he had received. Hope he can fix it quickly and it should all be under waranty.
    Are you a MacBook user? What has been your experience? Write here and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary
    Sorry to hear the MacBook is misbehaving. Following your blog with interest from Peru, and you all remain very much in our prayers.
    Sorry for the botched comment above!!!
    God bless,
    Andrew and Carolyn

    ReplyDelete