29 November 2010

Crossing the line

www.baslerstadtlauf.ch
Basel City Run (5,5 km),
Switzerland
If you click here and watch this clip carefully you can see me cross the line over on the right (Adidas hat)!
It had snowed all day and the temperature was around freezing but it didn't put of several thousand people of all ages from taken part in the traditional Stadtlauf. It was my first time and despite the difficult conditions, I really enjoyed the experience and I was very happy with my time of 27 mins 49,8 secs. 
I'm always very impressed with the professional organisation and time-keeping over here in Europe. Each starting bib comes with a chip which registers your exact time when you cross the start and finish (as well as a few checkpoints along the way). A couple of minutes after crossing the start line, you get a text message (SMS) with your official time. After the race you usually receive a reusable bottle with an energy drink, a medal and some vouchers and goodies. Then later on you can download photographs and videos of yourself taking part. If you like, you can even print of your own certificate when you go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment