25 September 2013

A Sabbatical #4: Books that I read and things I listened to

In preparation for the Sabbatical, I scanned my shelves and took down books that I really wanted to read during the summer. Others I ordered online from my Amazon wishlist. Slowly the little pile of books on my table grew and grew. I did read almost everything I wanted to, but strangly enough the pile is still as high :)

I also read or listened to:
Many of the above books were read on my kindle, others I bought (on real paper). Some were leant to me, read in a library or listened too as audio-books.
When listening to audio-books / MP3 sermons/seminars I was driving, running, cycling, in public-transport, waiting... Anywhere and everywhere I was either deliberately using the time to learn, listen to others, or enjoy the silence.

If you are planning on taking a Sabbatical, see it as an opportunity to read and study subjects that really interest you and for which you have questions in your own mind and ministry. For one, it is highly motivational reading and secondly you will benefit greatly yourself from the insights gained.

I trust you have enjoyed this little series of posts. If you would like me to write about some other aspect, you can suggest that in the comment box below. 
If you have not already done so, you can read the other posts in the 4-part series here: 
  1. A Sabbatical #1: How to request it (especially for those in full-time Christian ministry) 
  2. A Sabbatical #2: What to do with the time 
  3. A Sabbatical #3: Dos & Don'ts

No comments:

Post a Comment